Hi there, In my last post we talked about making keto desserts like chocolate mousse. Well, today, we’ll look at some supplements you may need on your keto diet journey.
As with any other super-restrictive diet, a ketogenic diet might make you miss out on certain important vitamins and supplements.
When you cut out whole food groups like grains and fruits, you need to substitute another source, like vegetables or an over-the-counter supplement.
Here are some supplements you may need to think about:
- Sodium: it may be hard to believe, especially in today’s salt-heavy world, but your keto diet may cause you to be low on sodium.
When you lower your carb intake and insulin isn’t being produced, your kidneys will absorb less sodium and potassium.
Instead, they’ll release them as waste, leaving you feeling dizzy, grumpy, and tired. Try adding a bit more sea salt if you think this may be the case.
- Potassium: this goes right along with the sodium.
Also, a lot of fruits and veggies contain potassium, so you may not be getting enough in your diet.
You may end up with muscle cramps and constipation if this is true. Try increasing your intake of spinach, mushrooms, avocado, tomatoes, and kale.
- Vitamin C: most of this comes from fruit, so you may need to find alternate sources.
Fortunately, many veggies also contain vitamin C, like broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, and cauliflower.
- Protein: if you’re having trouble getting enough protein in your diet, try adding whey powder to a shake or yogurt.
You can also try the following supplements to help you feel better while dieting:
- MCT oil: add this to your drinks or yogurt to increase ketone levels and give you more energy.
- Caffeine: a good cup of (unsweetened) coffee or tea gives you an energy boost and may help to increase fat loss.
- Creatine: this can help if you’re combining your diet with increased exercise.
In our next blog post, we’ll look at how to make an easy keto meal that will satisfy your taste buds and keep you feeling full.
Until next time,
Jimmie Wilks, MBA, CAP
Retired Air Force Vet & Online Marketer
P.S., Discover how to “Remix” your business through the power of automation and a proven system! Click here for more details!